Monday, January 30, 2012

Progress... kinda

I have been plugging along. I haven't been terribly successful, but not a complete failure either. I've been eating whatever I want, but watching my portions. I think I've done ok. I lost 5 pounds just from not eating like a crazy person (but isn't that what the holidays are for??) since we've been back from our holiday traveling. Apparently it takes like 7,000 calories a day to sustain that rate of weight gain. :) I made my little "Pounds to Go" and "Pounds Lost" jars with the pebbles in them and took great pleasure in moving my five little pebbles to the "Pounds Lost" jar.

I am a little stalled in my exercise because I am EXHAUSTED. Kyla, I do not know how you are running when you get so little sleep. The girls have been sick. We had the stomach flu twice with the regular flu in between. Our sleeping routines are allll messed up and we're having a hard time reestablishing them. However, I am reaching the insanity level of exhaustion. I think I'm going to lock our bedroom door, turn on the sound machine, and let the kids figure out their sleeping arrangements sans our bed. I'm hoping this will make for a better frame of mind for exercising.




I am reading an excellent book. It's called A Course in Weight Loss by Marianne Williamson. It's not about an eating plan, but how we use food to replace God in our lives and how to change that. I never thought that my dependence on food was akin to idolatry, but what she says makes sense. I will admit that some of it is weird and I haven't done all the assignments, but it has been instrumental in returning the sanity to my eating. For a while after the holidays I thought I was going to be a thoughtless food shoveler for the rest of my life because I could not make myself STOP EATING! Things have improved vastly since I started reading her book and I would recommend it to anyone who feels hopeless about losing weight.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sybil, You are not alone. I ate like crazy over the holidays and am having such a hard time cutting back. I haven't done any exercise. I just can't seem to find a time to do it. Megan is so cranky all the time and doesn't like to play much on her own. When she does go down for a nap in the late afternoon, I have to clean my house, make dinner, and do everything else I couldn't do while she was clinging to me during the day. I'm glad you are making some progress though. You have encouraged me to keep trying.

Planty Mama said...

Thank you, friend. I find even if I have a few minutes to exercise, I'm usually too exhausted to do any! I've been eating steel cut oats for breakfast with chia and hemp seeds mixed in and I usually feel pretty good for the 2-3 hours afterward. It's crazy what healthy eating can do for you! What's even crazier is that even though I KNOW that, I still eat like crap! Let's keep on keepin' on together, friend! Good luck!