Monday, March 1, 2010

Holding Steady

Things kind of fell apart on Sunday. We had a rough night and Sarah cried almost the entire 45 minutes of the drive home. I was exhausted and grouchy and took a nap on the couch. I didn't wash the dinner dishes, shine my sink, OR pick up the living room before bed, but I got up and got dressed to my shoes, made my bed and put away my clean dishes this morning. Then I did a 5 minute rescue in the living room, which is really all it took! I am gearing up to do the dishes right after I post this. One of the best things I've noticed about this: Tyler and Sarah have started picking up after themselves and pitching in more. Tyler made the bed on Saturday, as he was the last one up. Sarah's toy room hasn't been torn up. She's getting out one thing at a time. Tyler will actually wash dishes if there are just a few in the sink! I guess everyone else likes having a clean house, too! I bought some microfiber cloths to put in my bathroom for my daily swish and swipe. I hang it on the towel rack and anytime I wash my hands in the bathroom I dry the counter and look for any spots to clean off the mirror. As a result, my bathroom counters are always cleared off. I put my dryer, flat iron and brushes away as soon as I'm done, because who hides a candle under a bushel? Sarah is starting to understand these changes are due to Flylady. We listen to her on BlogTalk radio and when Sarah asks me why I'm doing something that's part of my routines, I tell her that Flylady tells me to do it so we can keep our house clean. Developing routines for my cleaning is helping me develop routines for prayer and scripture study, and, like Anbo, I'm growing more and more thankful for Heavenly Father's help in overcoming my myriad weaknesses! He really does help us and let's us know just where to start when the list seems so overwhelming! I can't say it enough: FLYLADY.NET! I recommend it to anyone who wonders where all their time goes and yet nothing ever gets done! It has been life changing. It helps me live gospel principles better and I feel so much better about myself.

2 comments:

Anbolyn said...

Isn't it great that you didn't let one bad day ruin the progress you've made? I am so proud of you! And it is great that your family is noticing your efforts and chipping in to help. It seems when you focus on a goal and really work at it and have success so many other things in your life fall into place. I'll keep praying for you!

Katie Seamons said...

You have inspired me! Thanks for posting the little things you are doing that help. I will now do some of the same things! I have had a new goal to try to keep my house cleaner too. Great timing to find your blog! My car has always been a mess! That was one of my first goals to take the little things in with me...what a concept! hehe