Sunday, July 12, 2009

One More Time with Feeling

Okay, I'm guessing no one did all the exercises for Principle One. I know I didn't. What can we do to make this happen? Should we post our exercises on our blogs? Maybe just a few thoughts from each day's exercise? I want this to work. I need this, and I'm sure we all could use it. I'm going to sit down right now and do the first exercise from Principle One. Right after I post a list I told Kyla I'd post.

"No matter how entrenched an addiction may seem, it can be made to vanish before the spiritual power within you." - Deepak Chopra

1. Did you get the right amount of sleep last night?
2. Did you start your day with nurturing activities that strengthened you in body and in spirit?
3. Did you find real pleasure in your work?
4. If you felt angry at someone or something, were you able to express this in a constructive way?
5. Were you able to experience nature today with awareness and appreciation?
6. Did you find time for enjoyable activities or exercise?
7. Were you able to spend some quiet time by yourself?
8. Did you laugh with real pleasure today?
9. If you felt tired or under stress, were you able to rest for a while?
10. Did you take your meals in pleasant surroundings, with company you enjoyed?
11. Did you show love today to friends and family members?
12. Did you freely and joyfully receive their love in return?

These were listed as Dr. Chopra's 12 Steps to Overcoming Addictions in his book, Overcoming Addictions, if you can believe it.

And to get us started, here are some thoughts I had the first time I did Principle One.

"As President Benson said about taking the slums out of the people - if I seek the Lord to solve the underlying spiritual illness, of which being overweight is a symptom, the outward change will follow. Permanent change is affected from the inside out, and our very inside is our relationship with our Heavenly Father and our Savior. If we spend all our time working on a physical solution, it will die with our bodies. If we implement a spiritual solution, it will rise with us to the next life and continue to develop there, eternally."

I love you guys and hope this can help get us all started.

1 comment:

Anbolyn said...

I was just going to post that I apologize for not doing my exercises. Thanks for posting this interesting list. Funny that #1 is about sleep - I have to be to work in less than 8 hours and am still up because I can't sleep! Hope your week goes well.